Friday, November 14, 2008

Hate Crimes started by Political Parties (Part II)

Only having a month of stability after the fiasco that Raj Thackeray had created, there was news of a SMS showing him cutting a Cake that had discriminatory word against the North Indians written on it. He cut the cake in a very non-traditional way – using a Sword and slashing it in two pieces – (Read my previous post on ‘Hate Crimes started by Political Parties’ for the background on this incident). These actions just spell out the “Hatred” against your own kind. Western world experienced and some parts still see some sense of differentiation against people of different origin. Count United States out of this – they have shown the world by electing a Black President, with Islamic background. These are signs of a true leader Nation – no wonder every one tends to adopt to their belief – why? It’s the most Humane approach. Why is United States the most sought after country - tried to think over it. They are the most ‘Internationalized Nation’ in the world. They have a biggest culmination of people, traditions, culture. It’s the biggest melting pot in the planet. A very simple example of what can diversity creates. It’s only here where you see a person from Pakistan and India, person from Israel and Palestine, even from Iran and Iraq, sitting together in same restaurant, going to same schools, travelling in the same bus and greeting each other. These were the people who came to United States to get a better life. But I then think that what is that we don’t have to offer. I understand countries like Iran, Iraq, Palestine and Pakistan have limited resources in terms of opportunities, education, social safety. But these are omnipresent in India, we got the best Engineering, Business, Medical Schools in the world. We got the good jobs, our society is safer (I know what you are thinking) – but comparing to these Countries, we are safer. Then why do lot of Indians still prefer to leave India in search of better ‘Life’ and go to other countries. That is because its our very system who drives these people out. Previously it was only the people who had no life back in India – they are from a lower middle class family and have very limited opportunity for even surviving. So they get out and go to U.K, Australia, U.S etc. But now the trend is among the people who have been doing good (I saw that while I was teaching I.E.L.T.S) also. I saw doctors, Surgeons giving these exams trying to get out of India as fast as possible. I still remember one of my students – who was in his late 40s wanted to get his Permanent Residency in Canada and needed to clear this exam – and he did. He went, before going he had come to meet me; he knew that I was planning to go to U.S for my higher education. He said something that I couldn’t forget until this day, he said “Don’t come back to this place – it’s a Sh*t Hole”. At that point I was offended and didn’t understand why he said such a thing being an Indian himself. But reading the news now, learning about all the dirty games Politicians play. I start to understand that the very fabric that makes the country is started to become dirty – some people would say it was always this way – I think that is right too. But how come I didn’t see that? while I was still in India. Its because I didn’t have a comparative subject. Now when I do, I see why that gentlemen left. Why was he correct, at least on his end.
I now understand, why those Doctors and Surgeons who could have stayed back and served their own country, savings lives of their own people. Are now abroad, serving someone else. It’s like using your own water to tend the other person’s garden. But it’s the very system that forces them to leave. Going back to the start of this discussion and comparing between United States and Bombay (Not Mumbai). They have so much in common, one is an ‘Immigrant Nation’ and another an ‘Immigrant City’. Both have prospered due to the very fact that they have varied minds working together, making it a better place, but then politicians come in and instill the hatred. I have never seen the New York governor giving a speech against people from outside state who have come and settled there. Instead there is always a welcoming atmosphere for outsiders. They share the “Big Apple”, let everyone take the flavor of it. Cause these very people work together to build it. Don’t get me wrong – I completely know that our constitution does not discriminate at any level. An every Indian has complete freedom to choose where he/she want to live and raise family. Then who are these small politicians saying against it. We say that India is having a ‘Brain Drain’. Well if there are politicians like this, then who wants to stay back? I will want to go back to India in a few years myself, I want to share my experience, give my Country back what She has given me all these years. But seeing all the discriminations among ourselves just makes me feel sorry. I will not blame any of those Engineers, Doctors, Scientists, who didn’t leave because of financial reasons – they could have stayed back if they wanted, but the very system forced them out.

No comments: